SEA BUCKTHORN IS THE SUPERBERRY OF AUTUMN
The sea buckthorn ripens in September-October and it is a true super-berry whose health effects have been the subject of research. Biokia’s Yellow Organic Berry Powder Mix is made from whole sea buckthorn, rose hips and cloudberry by drying them at low temperature to preserve the nutrients of the berries.
Biokia’s Yellow Organic Berry Powder Mix is rich in dietary fiber, vitamin C and E, potassium, copper and magnesium. The share of sea buckthorn in the berry powder is 45 %. If you want to add a stronger flavour of sea buckthorn to your pies, you can use Biokia’s 100% Organic sea buckthorn.
Recipe and images: Maria Rentola, Sokerihuurrettu
- 100 g (3.5 oz.) butter
- 3 dl (1 1/4 cups) wheat flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cold water
SEA BUCKTHORN FILLING
- 2 dl (1 cup) water
- 1 dl (1/2 cup) sugar
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tsp Biokia’s yellow organic berry powdermix
- 0,5 dl (1/4 cups) lemon juice
- 40 g (1.4 oz.) butter
- 2 egg whites
- 5 tbsp sugar
Biokia products used in the recipe
- Allow the butter to warm to room temperature or gently soften it in the microwave with the melting heat for up to 5 to 10 seconds at a time, heating and stirring occasionally. Do not let the butter melt.
- Rub the softened butter, wheat flour and sugar to a crumbly mixture. Add cold water to the crumb mixture, rub the dough to an even mixture and place it in the refrigerator for a while.
- Add cold water to the crumb mixture, rub the dough to an even mixture and place it in the refrigerator for a while.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Grease 6 pie pans with a diameter of about 12 cm. If you want, you can also use one pan with a diametre of approx. 24 cm.
- If you are making small pies, divide the dough into six equal-sized parts and roll them round over the parchment paper. Make the pies slightly larger than the diametre of the pan and lift them to the pan with the help of the parchment paper. Pat the edges evenly. You can either pat the large pie directly on the oven pan or roll it to a round shape over the parchment paper.
- Place a folded foil support around the edges to prevent the edges from falling in the oven.
- Make holes in the pies and bake the crust for about 10-15 minutes, until they are beautifully light brown. Leave the oven on when you remove the pies.
SEA BUCKTHORN FILLING
- Prepare the filling when the pies are in the oven. Separate egg yolks and whites into different bowls and place aside to wait.
- Add water, sugar and corn starch to the saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Add the egg yolks, Biokia's yellow organic berry powder mix and lemon juice to the saucepan.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and allow the filling to cool slightly.
- Dice the room temperature butter and add it to the filling.
- Dispense the filling into the cups and add the meringue on top of the filling. Even out the surface of the meringue with a spoon or a pallet knife.
- Bake the pies for another 5 minutes in a 200℃/400°F oven or until the meringue is of pale colour. Watch the pies during baking, meringue will burn easily.
- Serve the pies with for example bilberry and blackcurrant ice cream.