- Soak the gelatin leaves in cold water.
- Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds. Place the vanilla seeds of the vanilla pod and the pod into the saucepan.
- Add the cream and sugar to the saucepan and cook the mixture on low heat for a few minutes.
- Add Biokia’s organic blackcurrant powder and mix well.
- Squeeze excess water out of the gelatin leaves and add them into the cream mix.
- Strain the cream mixture and pour it into four small bowls or glasses. Cover the bowls with plastic foil.
- Let the pannacotta cool in the fridge until the next day.
- You can prepare the blackcurrant melba straight away or the next day. If you are using frozen blackcurrants, defrost them either at room temperature or in the microwave for a few minutes.
- Place the blackcurrants and sugar in a blender and run them until smooth. If there is not enough power in the blender, add some water.
- Apply blackcurrant melba over the pannacotta.
- 5 dl (~2 cups) double cream
- 1 dl (1/2 cup) sugar
- half a vanilla pod
- 3 gelatin leaves
- 5 tbsp Biokia’s organic blackcurrant powder
- 200 g (7 oz.) black currants
- 1 dl (1/2 cup) icing sugar
PANNACOTTA IS THE CLASSIC DESSERT THAT WORKS EVERY TIME
Pannacotta is the Italian queen of desserts. Panna cotta is Italian and means “boiled cream” and that’s what panna cotta is all about. The cream needs to be accompanied by sugar, vanilla and gelatin. Pannacota generally refers to a creamy buttermilk from the Piedmont region of Italy.
Pannacotta is often enjoyed plain or with fresh fruits and berries. The dessert is easy to prepare and can be prepared the night before.
GET BOOST FROM BLACKCURRANT
The organic blackcurrant powder added into pannacotta includes plenty of fibre, vitamin E and potassium. There is no added sugar in the powder. One tablespoon of Biokia’s organic black currant powder corresponds to about 1 dl (1/2 cup) of fresh berries. Eating berries has never been this easy!
The berry powder is ready to use, and it can be mixed with cold or hot food, such as yoghurt, porridge, smoothie, cakes, pastries and desserts. The powder can also be used as a garnish. The blackcurrant powder gives a beautiful purple colour to dishes. So, you can use it for example to spice up and color your pancake dough.
THE HEALTH EFFECTS OF BLACKCURRANT
Blackcurrant is the most nutritious berry in terms of its vitamin, mineral and dietary fiber content. Blackcurrant is also rich in vitamin C. Eating either a half a cup of blackcurrants or one tablespoon of Biokia’s organic blackcurrant powder can meet your daily vitamin C needs.
CHOOSE WHAT YOU LIKE
All Biokia’s organic berry powders can be used in pannacotta. You can switch powders and berries depending on the season. Choose the berries for the melba to match the berry powder. At least lingonberry, cranberry and bilberry powders suit perfectly for this dessert.
Recipe and images: Inka Ikonen, Inka I