HOW TO USE BERRY POWDERS IN CUPCAKE FROSTING
Bilberry and white chocolate cupcakes are a spectacular treat when the frosting is nicely piped over the top of the cake. The frosting in this recipe is piped with Russian bulbous tip, but it can also be piped with some other tip. The frosting is easy to pipe, and you can add a lot of it.
More conventionally, the cupcake is frosted with a very sweet buttercream frosting. These delicacies are decorated with a slightly lighter frosting made of cream, mascarpone and Biokia’s organic bilberry powder. The frosting gets its beautiful purple colour from the bilberry powder and that’s all you will need! You could also use Biokia’s organic lingonberry powder, which gives the filling a gentle pink color.
Please note that the frosting colour from berry powders may change slightly if it is held in fridge for a longer time, so it is best to frost the cupcakes just before serving.
The taste and color of Biokia’s Organic Berry Powder is preserved by gently air drying in a +42 – 46 degrees. Berry powders are an easy way to add plenty of vitamins and fibre to your diet as well as to sweet delicacies.
The cupcake hides super-delicious Biokia’s organic white chocolate bilberries that are Finnish, hand-picked forest bilberries covered with white chocolate. High-fibre bilberries are rich in vitamin E that protect cells from damage.
Recipe and photos: Maria Rentola, Sokerihuurrettu blogger
WHITE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- 5 dl (~2 cups) wheat flour
- 2 dl (1 cup) sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 0,5 tsp of salt
- 1 dl (1/2 cup) vanilla sauce
- 1,5 dl (2/3 cups) milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 0,5 dl (1/4 cups) rapeseed oil
- 1 bag/75 g Biokia’s organic white chocolate bilberries
- 100 g (3.5 oz) white chocolate
- 1/2 container (~ 4.5 oz.) mascarpone
- 2,5 dl (1 cup) whipping cream
- 4 tbsp Biokia’s organic bilberry powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- (fresh bilberries for garnish)
Biokia products used in the recipe
WHITE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- Bake the cupcakes. Set the oven to 200°C/400°F). Insert 12 paper cups into the holes in the cupcake tray.
- Mix the wheat flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the milk, custard, vanilla extract and rapeseed oil.
- Add the eggs to the milk mixture one at a time. Mix just enough until the eggs are mixed.
- Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients in a few batches, stirring with a scraper. Don't beat.
- Chop the white chocolate into small pieces. Add the white chocolate and Biokia's white chocolate bilberries into the dough.
- Dose the dough into the cups. Bake the cupcakes for approx. 15-20 minutes. Insert a toothpick into a cupcake. The dough is ready when the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool before you prepare the filling.
- Whisk the cream into a light foam.
- Mix in Biokia's Organic Bilberry powder, sugar and vanilla sugar with mascarpone.
- Add the cream to the mascarpone and whip for a while if the texture is loose.
- Cut a hole in the piping bag and place a decorating tip in the bag. You can place the piping bag inside a high glass and fold the bag on the edges of the glass.
- Pour the frosting into the piping bag and close the bag with the bag sealer.
- Squeeze the filling on top of the cupcakes and garnish for example with fresh blueberries.